Gen - to have
Gen is the contracted form of genyen
Gen and genyen are used interchangeably in the Haitian Creole language.
1. Mwen genyen yon machin - I have a car.
2. M gen yon machin - I have a car.
3. li genyen ven tan - he's twenty years old4. li gen ven tan - he/she is twenty years old.
5. nou genyen yon pitit - we have a child
6. nou gen yon pitit - we have a child
7. yo genyen cheve wouj - they have red hair
8. yo gen cheve wouj - they have red hair
Let's Practice. Please translate the following sentences.
1. I have a house.
2. You have a car.
3. You have two books.
4. My room has a bed.
5. Roro has a t-shirt.
6. I got enough.
7. The house has an upstairs floor.
8. Each country has a flag.
Find answer key at the bottom of this page
1.m gen yon kay 2ou gen yon machin 3.ou gen de liv 4.hanm mwen gen yon kabann 5.Roro gen yon mayo. 6. m gen ase 7.Kay la gen yon chanmòt 8.chak peyi gen yon drapo