Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Grammar: The verb To give → Is it Ba, Ban, or Bay?

The verb "to give" is translated in Creole as "ba, ban, or bay"
To give → ba, ban, bay

"Ban" used before a nasally sounding pronouns MWEN  &  NOU.
You will say:
ban mwen → give me
ban nou → give us
ban nou (plural) → give you all

Examples:
1. Ban mwen yon ti dlo tanpri.
    Ban m yon ti dlo tanpri. (even when the pronoun is contracted, continue to follow this rule)
    Give me some water please.


2. Pou fèt mwen, Nadine te ban mwen yon kado.
    Pou fèt mwen, Nadine te ban m yon kado. (m is contracted form of mwen)
    For my birthday, Nadine gave me a gift.  


3. Li ban nou lavi.
    Li ban n lavi. (n is contraced form of nou)
    He gives us life.


4.  Ban mwen yon ti moso.
     Ban m yon ti moso.
     Give me a small piece.



Before the pronouns OU  & YO, always use "ba"
Mwen ba ou I give you
Do not say: Mwen bay ou.
Do not say: Mwen ban ou.

Mwen ba yo I give them.
Do not say:  Mwen bay yo.
Do not say:  Mwen ban yo.

Examples:
1. I gave them everyhing I had.
    Mwen ba yo tout sa m-te genyen.

2. Kisa mwen dwe ba ou?
    Kisa mwen dwe ba w? (Expect that Creole speakers will use contractions.  W is contracttion for ou)
    What must I give you?

3. Nou ba yo tout manje a.
    We gave them all he food.



Always use "bay" at the end of a sentence.
5. Konbyen pou m bay?
    How much should I give?

6. It is not correct to say:
    Konbyen pou m ba?
    Konbyen pou m ban?
    How much should I give?
    (Don't use "ba" or "ban" at the end of a sentence.)

7. But, you could say:   
    Konbyen pou m ba ou?
    How much should I give you?
    Konbyen li te ban mwen?
    How much did he/she give me?


Lastly, except in the above cases, you can interchangeably use "BA" or "BAY" everywhere else.

Examples:
You can say:
8.  Mwen bay Jacques liv la. or
     Mwen ba Jacques liv la.
     I gave the book to Jacques.


9.  An nou bay lanmen.  or
     An nou ba lanmen
     Let's shake hands.


10.  Nou te bay anpil liv gratis yè.  or
       Nou te ba anpil liv gratis yè.
       We gave away a lot of free books yesterday.

In the following five sentences, use ba, ban, or bay.
11.  I gave you a book.
       Mwen _____ ou yon liv.

12.  Give me your heart.
       ________ mwen kè ou.

13.  I gave them what they asked for.
      Mwen te  ________ yo sa yo te mande a.

14.  I gave blood today.
       Mwen te _________ san jodi a.

15.  I have no money to give.
       Mwen pa gen lajan pou m _________



  Answers:  11. ba    12. ban    13. ba    14.  bay/ba    15. bay

No comments:

Post a Comment